Saturday, August 6, 2016

The Secret

My story is pretty common to a lot of my clients and a lot of my readers: I lose weight, feel successful, celebrate a little bit... Then a little more... Then a lot more... And then I am back to my previous weight or higher. Each time I am sure I feel less and less certain that I will ever actually reach my goal. Right now I feel like, if I can't do this for myself, I at least owe it to show those clients and readers who share my struggle that the cycle CAN be broken. 

So what is the answer?

It is not that you don't know enough. I struggle daily with this and I have a degree in Exercise Science and two national certifications. I have worked in fitness for over ten years now and have been able to get multiple OTHER people to their goals so I must know something. You probably do too if you have tried losing weight in the past and had a measure of success. I promise you that there is no little nugget or tip you just haven't stumbled across yet that will change the game completely. It is not on Pinterest, it is not in another fitness blog, and it is not going to pop up in a magazine somewhere. Searching for it is going to be a waste of time. 

It isn't your motivation either. What is the problem with relying on motivation? Well, it is extremely fluid, I could feel ready and willing one second and want to go to sleep the next. 

So what else is there? This probably sounds fairly hopeless. Maybe not. 

I was on vacation at a condo rental last month where multiple families often stay during the year. Things are often left there including books. I was bored and decided to rummage for a book to read. I found a book called "Running with Angels" by Pamela H. Hansen. It is an autobiographical chronicle of on woman's journey to battle obesity after having some of heartbreaking tragedies. Her struggles with weight loss were similar to my own and I wondered what finally motivated her to lose the weight and keep it off for good. Perhaps if I knew what gave her that final piece to her puzzle maybe I could use it to motivate myself to do it once and for all. 

Then she said it: (I am paraphrasing) You don't need to be motivated, just follow a plan. 

WHAT?!?!?!? Most if what I do revolves around trying to get clients motivated. Then I thought about what my most successful clients have all had in common. It was not the specific plan that they used or the number of times they were in the gym (though they all met with me at least twice a week). What they all had in common was a six month or longer commitment to do the same thing. The two most successful clients I have ever had met with me three times a week and committed to a year of their individual programs. Their program / plan was just part of what they did. 

So there you have it: COMMITMENT, ACCOUNTABILITY, and CONSISTENCY. Find a plan that you are 100% positive you can commit to for AT LEAST six months. If you can't stick with it that long, it is definitely not going to become a lifestyle. If it isn't a lifestyle, then you won't maintain your progress. Make sure there is some way you can keep accountable for that commitment (calendars, friends, logging, personal trainers, etc.) and then make it a consistent part of your life.

So here's what I am doing: I am logging my food. I know that I can't commit to anything that takes away my chocolate. So I have a plan that incorporates chocolate and other yummy treats. Maybe in the future I can find a way to limit those more to make sure I am eating clean but I am not there yet. Then I am blogging at least twice a week (I hope) for accountability. Finally, I am committing to at least a year. 

Feel free to let me know what you guys are planning to commit to, how you will be accountable, and how long you have decided to commit!

No comments:

Post a Comment